curl and nginx no longer build on same host

Matthew D. Fuller fullermd at over-yonder.net
Mon Jul 18 23:32:34 UTC 2016

On Tue, Jul 19, 2016 at 06:44:49AM +0800 I heard the voice of
Euan Thoms, and lo! it spake thus:

> Aha, I got ftp/curl to build using WITH_OPENSSL_PORT=yes. Don't know
> why I didn't try it before, perhaps since it is deprecated.
>
> So, I think we need to address some shortcoming in the new macro
> DEFAULT_VERSIONS+=ssl=openssl.

That seems...  odd.

> DEFAULT_VERSIONS+=ssl=openssl

will cause bsd.default-versions.mk to set the variable SSL_DEFAULT to
the value 'openssl'.

Contrarily,

> WITH_OPENSSL_PORT=yes

will cause bsd.default-versions.mk to set the variable SSL_DEFAULT to
the value 'openssl' (unless you've got OPENSSL_PORT defined, in which
case it's set to whatever that is) and spit out a warning.

So, unless you're setting OPENSSL_PORT, they're doing exactly the same
thing (modulo the warning).  If you are (e.g., from using libressl
instead), you need to set THAT instead of 'openssl' in the
DEFAULT_VERSIONS line.

Matthew Fuller     (MF4839)   |  fullermd at over-yonder.net