curl and nginx no longer build on same host

Jim Ohlstein jim at ohlste.in
Mon Jul 18 22:58:21 UTC 2016

Hello,

> On Jul 18, 2016, at 6:44 PM, Euan Thoms <euan at potensol.com> wrote:
>

>> On Tuesday, July 19, 2016 05:11 SGT, Jim Ohlstein <jim at ohlste.in> wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>>> On Jul 18, 2016, at 4:37 PM, Euan Thoms <euan at potensol.com> wrote:
>

>>> OK, I'm clear about the make.conf options and what they mean. But I still have a problem in that even if I use DEFAULT_VERSIONS+=ssl=openssl, ftp/curl will not build, certainly not with portmaster and I think I tried building it manually from inside it's ports directory.
>>>
>>> /usr/ports/ftp/curl]# make
>>> ===>  curl-7.49.1 GSSAPI_BASE is not compatible with OpenSSL from ports. Use
>>> other GSSAPI options or OpenSSL from base system.
>>> *** Error code 1
>>>
>>> Stop.
>>> make: stopped in /usr/ports/ftp/curl
>>>

>>> So basically, I'd have to change one of the GSSAPI options in ftp/curl. Except I haven't got a clue on the ramifications of this. Do I need GSSAPI? If so, should I use Heimdal or MIT?
>>>
>>> So you see my point, it's not friendly on new FreeBSD users. I'm a fairly experienced FreeBSD sys-adimin and I don't know what to do in this case.
>>>
>>> At least I now know that there is a good reason to not have on port built against base openssl and another built against ports openssl.
>>
>> So basically they've deprecated a useful option without replicating the functionality. Bravo!
>>
>> Fortunately, it still works as intended.
>

> Aha, I got ftp/curl to build using WITH_OPENSSL_PORT=yes. Don't know why I didn't try it before, perhaps since it is deprecated.
>
> So, I think we need to address some shortcoming in the new macro DEFAULT_VERSIONS+=ssl=openssl.
>
> Perhaps I should create a new thread, with a more appropriate subject line? Any suggestions?

That's evidently above my pay grade.

I recall recently there was a discussion of building all ports against the openssl port. It got lengthy and I stopped reading it. That's what that function does. Deprecating that function without forcing use of the openssl port was not wise IMMHO, but again, my opinion apparently doesn't matter.

--
Jim