A few problems with Gitlab

Torsten Zuehlsdorff tz at FreeBSD.org
Mon Jul 11 08:29:21 UTC 2016

Hello Vlad,

> This is the first time I'm trying to install Gitlab and first time I
> have to do anything with a Ruby application. So I'm not sure if these
> problems are due to my misconfiguration, or a few bug reports to be filed:

First: how did you installed GitLab? Did you use the port www/gitlab and
followed the linked documentation ?

> 1. Unicorn does not start, fails at trying to symlink
> .gitlab_shell_secret into /usr/local/shared/gitlab-shell/
>
> I assume that's because it's running as user "git" and the above shared
> dir is owned by root:wheel. Symlinking manually allows Unicorn to start.

The documentation clearly states, that you (currently and sadly) must
start GitLab as root via:
service gitlab start

> 2. The user "git" has home in /usr/local/www/gitlab, but there's a repos
> dir created under /home/git, which is not a symlink to /usr/home, while
> at the same time default config for gitlab_shell.repos_path is
> /usr/home/git/repositories
>
> This I found having followed the official documentation, step
> "Initialize Database and Activate Advanced Features", which failed at
> trying to create a root repo under /usr/home which doesn't exist.

There was a bug in older versions of the GitLab port. This is fixed
since 8.8.X is in the portstree.

> 3. After all this, trying to load up the application via https. Times
> out, I get 502. While it is timing out I can see:
>
> - the database is idle in transaction on two queries
> - the "node" process eats up 100%+ of WCPU
>
>   PID USERNAME    THR PRI NICE   SIZE    RES STATE    TIME    WCPU COMMAND
>  1681 git           6  22    0   762M   167M usem     0:06 117.97% node
>
> - this "usem" state looks like a semaphore, so I reduced the Unicorn
> workers to 1, thinking that would help at least to get it going, but it
> didn't.
>
> - no error logged anywhere except gitlab-workhorse.log which logs the 502:
>
> 2016/07/10 19:23:01 error: proxyRoundTripper: GET
> "/users/password/edit?reset_password_token=gFAktGuSGtRZp3vAyytZ" failed
> with: "EOF"
> 2016/07/10 19:23:01 ErrorPage: serving predefined error page: 502
>
> Yes, the initial visit to the app root redirects to /users/password/edit
> which times out. Any suggestions what I should try next?

No log in /usr/local/www/gitlab/log/ ? All logs of GitLab port are going
into this dir.

Greetings,
Torsten