Removing documentation

Roger Marquis marquis at roble.com
Mon Feb 15 17:32:28 UTC 2016

> This makes no sense.  Ports are not tied to base releases.
> And you think lack of developer resources is an invalid reason?

There was no mid-release issue with base as far as I know.  The issue was
with ports and by extension pkgng (and related -ngs).

> You know good and well that people kick the can down the road FOREVER.
> You could have announced it 3 years ahead and people would still scream
> NOT YET!  NOT YET!  This would NEVER happen in Linux!

The announcement
<https://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-ports-announce/2014-February/000077.html>
was dated Feb 3 2014, leaving all of 7 months until the planned
deprecation.  Even if you could make a case that pkgng was ready (it
wasn't) 7 months is far less than the 2 calendar year and dozens of
person-year cycles required by some infrastructure-critical production
environments.  It's even farther from the 7+ years that other FOSS
distributions support their releases.

> It's a business, right?  You aren't talking about a shoestring hobby.

There's no need to shoot the messenger here.  I may be expressing an
opinion but it is one that is shared by all of my colleagues: developers,
administrators and managers alike.

Roger