Removing documentation

John Marino freebsdml at marino.st
Mon Feb 15 17:40:40 UTC 2016

On 2/15/2016 6:32 PM, Roger Marquis wrote:
>> This makes no sense.  Ports are not tied to base releases.
>> And you think lack of developer resources is an invalid reason?
>
> There was no mid-release issue with base as far as I know.  The issue was
> with ports and by extension pkgng (and related -ngs).

ports are developed independently.  They do not follow release
schedules.  Ports have to support all supported releases, that's the
only connection.

To say ports support has to coincide with a base release schedule shows
a lack of understanding of ports development process.  It also doesn't
account for 3 concurrent releases (or 2 releases and -CURRENT) which are
not synchronized.

> was dated Feb 3 2014, leaving all of 7 months until the planned
> deprecation.  Even if you could make a case that pkgng was ready (it
> wasn't) 7 months is far less than the 2 calendar year and dozens of
> person-year cycles required by some infrastructure-critical production
> environments.  It's even farther from the 7+ years that other FOSS
> distributions support their releases.

what FOSS distributions support releases for 7+ years for gratis?  One
pays for that kind of support.  Did your organization offer to pay for
extended support?

>> It's a business, right?  You aren't talking about a shoestring hobby.
>
> There's no need to shoot the messenger here.  I may be expressing an
> opinion but it is one that is shared by all of my colleagues: developers,
> administrators and managers alike.

All your colleagues, developers, administrators, and managers want
enterprise level support without paying any money at all?   They *all*
think volunteers provide that level of support just because?  This is
not messenger-shooting, this is wondering what kind of place has
expectations like that.

I've never worked at a place like that.

John