Removing documentation

Mathias Picker mathiasp at mathiaspicker.net
Mon Feb 8 09:38:56 UTC 2016

Am Montag, den 08.02.2016, 08:35 +0100 schrieb John Marino:
> On 2/8/2016 7:43 AM, Peter Jeremy wrote:

> On 2016-Feb-07 15:28:56 +0100, John Marino <freebsdml at marino.st>
> wrote:
> > > Please do an honest "fly-off" between ports-mgmt/portmaster and
> > > ports-mgmt/synth.  I would love to hear what signficant thing
> > > portmaster
> > > can do that Synth can't.  (honestly)

While I like the ideas of synth, and hoped I could use it to just build
my 3-8 ports with modified options, on first look I found many things
suggesting that it's not yet ready:

- shows uninteresting eye candy instead of build
- stops at every conf file version mismatch requiring me to start make
config by hand, and then to re-run when it discovers the next mismatch.
I mean, WTF?
- using prebuild packages requires fetching and installing them all
into the local repository? pkg can use multiple repositories with
different priorities, so this seems to clutter my system unnecessarily.
- building blender rebuilds audio/jack every time???
- after building blender successfully, ignores (deletes?) the package
with the cryptic error msg:
- wants to build > 100 ports on my system, whereas portmaster -a just
build 31 ports.
-

If I could just rebuild blender, apache, password store with my local
options and install them into a local repository, that would be nice
indeed, saving me from installing poudriere for this minor task.

And I don't mind the ncurses dependency one bit...

To comment on the original bug report: removing portmaster from
documentation seems to be a bit premature. It's working fine for me,
and it seems quite a lot simpler to me than synth, which makes it
preferable in my book.

Thinking about it, I'm not even sure the clean room build aproach of
synth is actually preferable to portmaster, the messy portmaster
aproach will pick up any messy thing (e.g. library) I did to my system,
which might be exactly what I want. Have to think about this some
more...

Cheers, Mathias