Removing documentation

John Marino freebsdml at marino.st
Mon Feb 8 07:35:48 UTC 2016

On 2/8/2016 7:43 AM, Peter Jeremy wrote:
> On 2016-Feb-07 15:28:56 +0100, John Marino <freebsdml at marino.st> wrote:
>> Please do an honest "fly-off" between ports-mgmt/portmaster and
>> ports-mgmt/synth.  I would love to hear what signficant thing portmaster
>> can do that Synth can't.  (honestly)
>
> Off the top of my head: Has no other ports dependencies:
> portmaster - tick
> synth - bzzt fail.
>
> As far as I'm concerned that makes it an immediate non-starter.  I have
> been bitten too many times by portupgrade updating one of its myriad
> dependencies, then exploding and requiring manual repairs.

That's not honest.
Synth is a single binary executable with linkage to libc and ncurses.
There's nothing to repair.  There's no database.  Comparing Synth to
PortUpgrade can't be done (at least not honestly).  There are no
dependencies.  You would never not have it available by package.

Like portmaster it uses ports options / framework so one can always just
use ports and then switch to Synth.

If you or anybody can provide an NON-CONTRIVED example where this would
be a problem, I'll concede but you will not be able to.  As long as
ports build on that machine or as long as packages are available,
there's no issue.  It interfaces with the host with pkg(8).  Removing
synth completely makes no harm.  In that regard it's a luxury.

So I challenge anybody to provide something more intellectual that "bzzt
fail" and give a real case where somebody would be stuck.

You won't be able to do it.