The ports collection has some serious issues

John Marino freebsd.contact at marino.st
Mon Dec 19 13:45:15 UTC 2016

On 12/19/2016 00:48, Peter Jeremy wrote:
> On 2016-Dec-17 20:16:12 -0600, John Marino <freebsd.contact at marino.st> wrote:
>> On 12/17/2016 19:35, Peter Jeremy wrote:
>>> $ cd /usr/ports/ports-mgmt/synth/ && make
>>> [ about an hour of grinding away elided ]
>>> ===>   ini_file_manager-03_2 depends on file: /usr/local/gcc6-aux/bin/ada - not found
>>> ===>  gcc6-aux-20160822 is only for amd64 i386, while you are running armv6.
>>>
>>> Overall, a total failure.
>>>
>>> OTOH, portmaster installs in a minute or so and runs perfectly well.  I fail
>>> to see why you are so insistant on replacing it with something that doesn't
>>> work at all.
>>>

>> Real smooth there, Slick.
>>
>> It's been mentioned several times in this thread alone that Ada is only
>> available for i386 and amd64.
>
> Not in this thread, no it hasn't.  I went digging and found that it has been
> mentions in some of the other 7 separate "The ports collection has some
> serious issues" that you have started.
>
>> I think you already knew that
>
> Well, I pointed it out to you in February this year and after 10 months,
> nothing has changed, including your persistent desire to get rid of
> portmaster, despite the fact that synth is not a suitable replacement.
>
>> and thus
>> this is a pure troll.
>
> I insist that you retract that insult.  In this thread, without any
> qualification, you stated that anyone who used portmaster or portupgrade
> should swap to synth, and gave a process which you know will only work on
> i386 and amd64.
>
>> Use poudriere for non-x86 platforms.  armv6 packages are built with
>> poudriere + QEMU, but I suspect you already knew this as well.
>
> I haven't investigated because I haven't had the the need to.

I never, not once, tried to "get rid of portmaster".  By repeating this
untruth after I already corrected you is trolling.  There was a very
small chance you were just ignorant but thanks for admitting you knew
exactly what you were doing and making Dave H. look silly.

What I have (and others) wanted?  What would make us happy?

A warning placed on the port (a deprecation message but no expiration
date) and others have suggested the same message at installation time in
the form of a pkg-message.

That's it.  Nobody ever tried to remove it.

You are like a die-hard smoker that doesn't want "Cancer kills" stickers
on their cigarette boxes.  Ask yourself why you don't want people to be
informed?

Joh

---