The ports collection has some serious issues

Kevin Oberman rkoberman at gmail.com
Sun Dec 18 20:22:24 UTC 2016

On Sun, Dec 18, 2016 at 6:05 AM, John Marino <freebsd.contact at marino.st>
wrote:

> David wrote
>
>> On 12/16/2016 04:06 PM, John Marino wrote:
>>
>>> Starting with a clean system:
>>> 1) install synth from binary package from official freebsd builder (a
>>> single package)
>>>

>> What about just building synth from ports? Then the OP have everything
>> built from ports.
>>
>> --
>> David
>>

> In the example, the system is *clean*.  If you build from ports you
> immediately litter it with installed build dependencies.
>
> The "real" process is just use the binary package that FreeBSD provides.
> I was showing how to bootstrap it cleanly and the target audience is those
> that insist they were the ones to build it (which I assume is a small
> percentage of the overall audience).  There is zero advantage to building
> it yourself.
>
> The other reasons is that all the build dependencies get generated as
> packages in a synth directory, so by avoiding Synth temporarily has the
> cost of having to potentially rebuild them all again later for other
> packages or rebuilding a new version of synth.  So it avoids unnecessary
> repeat work as well.
>
> John

Yes!

I see no reason to ever build synth from source. It has NO run
dependencies, so installing the package has no added baggage (unlike
portupgrade). I only use it for the two ports I use that require special
build options on my server, but it really makes sense for many, many cases
where poudriere is overkill.

synth(8)... try it, you'll like it. (Sorry, dating myself.)
E-mail: rkoberman at gmail.com