No port should need root for make fetch

Freddie Cash fjwcash at gmail.com
Wed Dec 14 22:03:56 UTC 2016

On Wed, Dec 14, 2016 at 12:37 AM, Akinori MUSHA <knu at idaemons.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Thanks for the info.
>
> On Wed, 14 Dec 2016 05:32:36 +0900,
> Julian H. Stacey wrote:
> > Hi ports@
> > IMO No port should need root for
> >       cd /usr/ports; make -i fetch
> > The first one that broke for me was databases/mysql-q4m
> > (OK might be others before, but I have DUDS =
> >        arabic biology chinese hebrew hungarian japanese korean
> >        polish portuguese russian ukrainian vietnamese games demime
> >        majordomo acroreadwrapper acroread9 chimera dosbox emil
> >        firefox freerdp gimp-app gv libcue mp3splt-gtk nut opera
> >        ripit vlc xorg xsane
> > )
> > (MAINTAINER CC'd) but there's more ports beyond, usually because
> > some ports also go berserk & install, or mabe install dependents.
>
> Having the dependency as FETCH_DEPENDS [*] was not my idea, but that
> was for a reason: you should not fetch a file while building a port.
>
> * https://svnweb.freebsd.org/ports/head/databases/mysql-
> q4m/Makefile#rev297196

​Shouldn't this be split into two, then?

​FETCH_DEPENDS+=
${NONEXISTENT}:${PORTSDIR}/databases/mysql${MYSQL_VER}-server:fetch

BUILD_DEPENDS+=
${NONEXISTENT}:${PORTSDIR}/databases/mysql${MYSQL_VER}-server:build

​That way, only the fetch target is run on the mysql-server port when
running the fetch target on the mysql-q4m port.  And the build target is
run on the mysql-server port when the build target is run on the mysql-q4m
port.

Or is there no :fetch support in the _DEPENDS framework?​

--
Freddie Cash
fjwcash at gmail.com