No port should need root for make fetch

Julian H. Stacey jhs at berklix.com
Tue Dec 13 21:35:52 UTC 2016

Hi, Reference:

Matthias Andree wrote:
> Am 13.12.2016 um 21:32 schrieb Julian H. Stacey:
> > Hi ports@
> > IMO No port should need root for
> > 	cd /usr/ports; make -i fetch
> > The first one that broke for me was databases/mysql-q4m
> > (OK might be others before, but I have DUDS =
> > 	 arabic biology chinese hebrew hungarian japanese korean
> > 	 polish portuguese russian ukrainian vietnamese games demime
> > 	 majordomo acroreadwrapper acroread9 chimera dosbox emil
> > 	 firefox freerdp gimp-app gv libcue mp3splt-gtk nut opera
> > 	 ripit vlc xorg xsane
> > )
> > (MAINTAINER CC'd) but there's more ports beyond, usually because
> > some ports also go berserk & install, or mabe install dependents.
>
> Julian,
>
> How is that a problem of "some" ports? All ports require root for "make
> fetch"

No they dont.

>  because the normal distfiles/ directory is underneath /usr/ports/
> and thus only writable by root.

No its not
cd /usr/ports/distfiles ; ls -la | head
	total 73937104
	drwxr-xr-x  406 jhs   staff      893440 Dec 13 22:29 ./
	drwxr-xr-x   23 jhs   staff        1536 Dec  1 00:22 ../
pwd
	/.amd_mnt/fire/0s4/ftp/pub/FreeBSD/dists/current

> Make the /usr/ports/distfiles/ directory
> writable to a certain group of users, make the DIRECTORY setgid (chmod
> g+s ...), add the users to that group, and you're set, alternatively,
> redirect that storage to a user-writable directory by setting the
> DISTDIR environment variable (this can happen on the make command-line,
> too).
>
> > # DISTDIR       - Where to search for and store copies of original sources
> > #                 Default: ${PORTSDIR}/distfiles
> (source: /usr/ports/Mk/bsd.port.mk)

Thanks for the well intentioned & good advice Matthias,
But some few ports are truly Badly Behaved with make fetch.

Cheers,
Julian
--
Julian Stacey, BSD Linux Unix Sys Eng Consultant Munich
 Reply below, Prefix '> '. Plain text, No .doc, base64, HTML, quoted-printable.