No port should need root for make fetch

Matthias Andree matthias.andree at gmx.de
Tue Dec 13 22:01:25 UTC 2016

Am 13.12.2016 um 22:35 schrieb Julian H. Stacey:

>> How is that a problem of "some" ports? All ports require root for "make
>> fetch"
> No they dont.

Given that, then "none do".

I'll do what what you omitted in your blind rage, I've dug the important
detail up for you, which was the first guess:

$ grep _DEPENDS Makefile /dev/null
/usr/ports/databases/mysql-q4m/Makefile:FETCH_DEPENDS+=
${NONEXISTENT}:${_MYSQL_SERVER}:build

This doesn't say "give me root". It needs to be able to build the
requisite port.

Obviously the fix is to make sure that if you want to fetch as
unprivileged user, that you can also *build*.
I assume that if you want *fetch* as unprivileged user, that you also
want to *build* as unprivileged user, so I'd take that for granted, but
it's not the case on your system.

On my system, which has a WRKDIRPREFIX that I am permitted to write to
with the unprivileged user account doing the builds, "make fetch" for
mysql-q4m passes without a hitch.

> Thanks for the well intentioned & good advice Matthias,
> But some few ports are truly Badly Behaved with make fetch.

Can you cite chapter and verse of the rule that makes such a port "truly
Badly Behaved", for reference in this list's archives?