Problems with out libgcc_s.so in base

Diane Bruce db at db.net
Sat Aug 20 12:01:05 UTC 2016

On Sat, Aug 20, 2016 at 03:04:44PM +0930, Shane Ambler wrote:
> On 19/08/2016 10:13, Steven G. Kargl wrote:
> You should find that all newer copies of libgcc_s contain compatibility
> support for binaries that were linked to earlier versions.

Indeed. And the version masquerading as a GNU libgcc_s in base
does the same thing. Two problems: our base libgcc_s only covers version up
to GCC_4.2.0 and there is a name conflict on the library name with
libgcc_s from the gnu compiler. Hence if a program links against base
libgcc_s first then requires libgfortran which itself requires support
for above GCC_4.2.0, the program fails. OR Whenever a program requires
support that is missing on the platform it is running on from our
libgcc_s, it will fail.

There are numerous PR's on this which all have the common problem
of linking with a libgcc_s that does not support > GCC_4.2.0

Diane
--
- db at FreeBSD.org db at db.net http://www.db.net/~db