Problems with out libgcc_s.so in base

Shane Ambler FreeBSD at ShaneWare.Biz
Sat Aug 20 05:34:53 UTC 2016

On 19/08/2016 10:13, Steven G. Kargl wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 19, 2016 at 01:14:32AM +0200, Tijl Coosemans wrote:
>> On Thu, 18 Aug 2016 14:48:28 +0200 Dimitry Andric <dim at FreeBSD.org> wrote:
>>
>>> how would you solve the problem of having
>>> multiple, possibly incompatible versions of the same library in
>>> different directories?
>>>
>>> For example, on one of my systems, I now have these:
>>>
>>> /usr/local/lib/gcc47/libgcc_s.so.1
>>> /usr/local/lib/gcc48/libgcc_s.so.1
>>> /usr/local/lib/gcc49/libgcc_s.so.1
>>> /usr/local/lib/gcc5/libgcc_s.so.1
>>> /usr/local/lib/gcc6/libgcc_s.so.1
>>> /usr/local/lib/gcc7/libgcc_s.so.1
>>>
>>> So which one are you going to put at the front of the path?  The gcc7
>>> version?  If you are lucky that one is backwards compatible with all the
>>> previous ones,

You should find that all newer copies of libgcc_s contain compatibility
support for binaries that were linked to earlier versions.

For the gcc policy on library ABI compatibility read -
http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/libstdc++/manual/abi.html

You can find the ABI versions contained in each library -

% strings /usr/lib/libgcc_s.so | grep 'GCC_[0-9]' | sort -u
GCC_3.0
GCC_3.3
GCC_3.3.1
GCC_3.4
GCC_3.4.2
GCC_3.4.4
GCC_4.0.0
GCC_4.2.0
GCC_4.3.0

% strings /usr/local/lib/gcc48/libgcc_s.so.1 | grep 'GCC_[0-9]' | sort -u
GCC_3.0
GCC_3.3
GCC_3.3.1
GCC_3.4
GCC_3.4.2
GCC_3.4.4
GCC_4.0.0
GCC_4.2.0
GCC_4.3.0
GCC_4.6.0
GCC_4.7.0
GCC_4.8.0

--
FreeBSD - the place to B...Software Developing

Shane Ambler