New dependencies of ImageMagick-nox11 - are they necessary?

Miroslav Lachman 000.fbsd at quip.cz
Mon Aug 15 10:42:11 UTC 2016

Matthieu Volat wrote on 08/15/2016 07:53:
> On Sun, 14 Aug 2016 23:00:59 +0200
> Miroslav Lachman <000.fbsd at quip.cz> wrote:
>
>> I upgraded ImageMagick-nox11: 6.9.4.3,1 -> 6.9.5.5_1,1 and found these
>> new dependencies:
>>

>> New packages to be INSTALLED:
>>           gettext-runtime: 0.19.8.1
>>           glib: 2.46.2_2
>>           python27: 2.7.12
>>           pcre: 8.39
>>
>> I did this in one small jail where I don't want any unnecessary
>> packages. This was minor update of ImageMagick so I am surprised with
>> these not so small new dependencies.
>>
>> Are they really necessary even for nox11 variant of ImageMagick?
>
> After playing a bit with options, it seems that:
>
> 1. gettext-runtime
> I did not see a configure option to disable NLS support in ImageMagick
>
> 2. glib, pcre
> They are not always needed indeed, in my limited options configuration test[1], LQR needs it at least (I suppose others, like PDF or SVG, would too).
>
> 3. python
> I suppose a dependency brought it?
>

>> Miroslav Lachman
>
> [1] Full option list and glib/pcre dependency:
>
> 16BIT_PIXEL: none
> BZIP2: none
> DJVU: ?
> DOCS: ?
> FFTW: ?
> FONTCONFIG: none
> FPX: ?
> FREETYPE: none
> GRAPHVIZ: ?
> GSLIB: ?
> HDRI: ?
> JBIG: none
> JPEG: none
> JPEG2000: none
> LCMS2: none
> LQR: glib, pcre
> LZMA: none
> MODULES: none
> OPENEXR: none
> OPENMP: ?
> PANGO: ?
> PDF: ?
> PERL: ?
> PNG: none
> SVG: ?
> TESTS: ?
> THREADS: none
> TIFF: none
> WEBP: ?
> WMF: ?
> X11: none

Thank you for this analysis.
I have following options for ImageMagick-nox11

Options        :
         16BIT_PIXEL    : on
         BZIP2          : on
         DJVU           : off
         DOCS           : off
         FFTW           : off
         FONTCONFIG     : on
         FPX            : off
         FREETYPE       : on
         GRAPHVIZ       : off
         GSLIB          : off
         HDRI           : off
         JBIG           : on
         JPEG           : on
         JPEG2000       : on
         LCMS2          : off
         LQR            : off
         LZMA           : off
         MODULES        : on
         OPENEXR        : off
         OPENMP         : off
         PDF            : off
         PERL           : off
         PNG            : on
         TESTS          : off
         THREADS        : on
         TIFF           : on
         WEBP           : off
         WMF            : off

So it doesn't need dependency on glib and pcre (and python brought by glib)
Can ports Makefile be modified to use glib conditionaly only if options
requiring it are selected?

I am not sure about gettext. I have NLS disabled in make.conf on our
poudriere builder for all ports and it was not used before version 6.9.5.5

OPTIONS_UNSET= X11 GUI CUPS DOCS EXAMPLES NLS HAL

Miroslav Lachman