New dependencies of ImageMagick-nox11 - are they necessary?

Matthieu Volat mazhe at alkumuna.eu
Mon Aug 15 05:53:41 UTC 2016

On Sun, 14 Aug 2016 23:00:59 +0200
Miroslav Lachman <000.fbsd at quip.cz> wrote:

> I upgraded ImageMagick-nox11: 6.9.4.3,1 -> 6.9.5.5_1,1 and found these
> new dependencies:
>

> New packages to be INSTALLED:
>          gettext-runtime: 0.19.8.1
>          glib: 2.46.2_2
>          python27: 2.7.12
>          pcre: 8.39
>
> I did this in one small jail where I don't want any unnecessary
> packages. This was minor update of ImageMagick so I am surprised with
> these not so small new dependencies.
>
> Are they really necessary even for nox11 variant of ImageMagick?

After playing a bit with options, it seems that:

1. gettext-runtime
I did not see a configure option to disable NLS support in ImageMagick

2. glib, pcre
They are not always needed indeed, in my limited options configuration test[1], LQR needs it at least (I suppose others, like PDF or SVG, would too).

3. python
I suppose a dependency brought it?

> Miroslav Lachman

[1] Full option list and glib/pcre dependency:

16BIT_PIXEL: none
BZIP2: none
DJVU: ?
DOCS: ?