Best way to submit a port upgrade

Kurt Jaeger lists at opsec.eu
Sun Apr 24 03:24:48 UTC 2016

Hi!

> Background: I have created various ports, but I have never upgraded one
> to a new version (i.e. from a new distfile) before.
>
> I now have an upgrade to a new version of the port. I have:
>
> - Updated Makefile
> - Updated pkg-plist
> - Updated distinfo
> - New files in files/
> - New patches in files/
>
> I am slightly unsure how to submit this. The options seem to be:
>
> a) A recursive diff (I know about 'port diff').
> b) An svn diff

Both are fine.

> However, what about comments on each of my changes? Should there be
> annotation on what I have done, and how do I specify that in the PR?

There are two change types:

- those that you did to the port itself
  Only if your changes to the port are fancy, it's necessary to explain
  about them.
- those that upstream did to the new version
  If you update from a.b to x.y and the upstream has a changelog,
  please provide a link to that changelog. If there's no linkable
  changelog, please provide a short block of text that explains
  the changes from upstream.

If you put those changes in a comment field in the PR, that's very
nice!

--
pi at opsec.eu            +49 171 3101372                         4 years to go !