Committer needed for PR 208029

Michelle Sullivan michelle at sorbs.net
Wed Apr 6 17:35:12 UTC 2016

Jim Ohlstein wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On 4/6/16 12:39 PM, Mathieu Arnold wrote:
>> +--On 6 avril 2016 12:00:47 -0400 Jim Ohlstein <jim at ohlste.in> wrote:
>> | Hello,

>> |> |

>> Makefile

>> |> |
>> is there

>> used in
>> does
>> |>

>> | Then there are many ports being committed incorrectly, as well as, no
>> | doubt, many *official* packages.
>> |
>> | I really have no dog in this fight. I use it globally and build all
>> of my
>> | own packages with poudriere, but either it shouldn't be there at
>> all, or
>> | it should be ok to use. Having it available as an option to porters
>> and
>> | then saying it shouldn't be used seems a bit silly.
>>
>> Well, it is not available for the porters as it is a global
>> directive, they
>> use it anyway.
>>
>> Anyway, like I said, working on it.
>>

> Maybe an edit to portlint is in order. That way they might know. As of
> now, portlint does not so much as emit a warning.
>
> I don't entirely disagree with the premise that all ports that require
> OpenSSL should be built against the version in ports. As I said, I do
> it and it also makes port maintenance simpler. However, as long as it
> is actually an option, as it is now, then it should be availed when
> desired.
I don't agree or disagree for what it's worth... What I do say though is
where ever possible all ports should be compiled against one version..
of course GSSAPI support is a 'special case' in point that might have to
break that rule of thumb.

> Further down the road (but not all that far) I foresee other, perhaps
> bigger problems if using this strategy. OpenSSL 1.1.0 is in beta and
> will be released within the next month or two. It is not completely
> backward compatible.

100% there...!

> At some point it will become the official ports version and/or two
> versions will need to be maintained in ports, 1.0.2 (LTS until 2019)
> and 1.1.x. This will create the problem of some/many ports not
> building against 1.1.x and some ports or port options _requiring_
> 1.1.x. Assuming 1.1.x is the main OpenSSL in ports, there will be
> ports that would build properly against OpenSSL in base (but cannot be
> built that way if using the ports version is mandated), and do not
> compile against OpenSSL 1.1.x. Most can no doubt be patched, but
> waiting for upstream providers to do so may be problematic, and many
> porters lack the skills.

Personally I'm surprised there is not more than one major version of
openssl in the ports tree already.. perhaps there should be...

--
Michelle Sullivan
http://www.mhix.org/