suggestion of a pre- install- recursive for Mk/bsd.port.mk

Julian H. Stacey jhs at berklix.com
Fri Sep 25 11:54:00 UTC 2015

I had a problem with my current x11-toolkits/gtk20
  http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-gnome/2015-September/033060.html
Solved with a crude:
	pkg delete gtk2-2.24.28_1
	cd /usr/ports/x11-toolkits/gtk20 ; make
but that zapped my system, deleting 330m meg of other presumably mostly
working stuff, a lot of stuff to wait to re-make & reinstall.

To debug any port, it would be nice if we had a make label
that would forcibly recursively re-install all dependencies Before
the main make, not just after install of main, as is done by my patch
for make reinstall-recursive

 http://berklix.com/~jhs/src/bsd/fixes/freebsd/ports/gen/Mk/bsd.port.mk.reinstall-recursive.REL=8.2-RELEASE.diff
 http://berklix.com/~jhs/src/bsd/fixes/freebsd/ports/gen/Mk/bsd.port.subdir.mk.reinstall-recursive.REL=8.2-RELEASE.diff

A shell or macro to make & install from list from `make build-depends`
Should I write it, or does it exist, can we throw a shell to do it ?

This did not achieve it:
     cd /usr/ports/x11-toolkits/gtk20
     make build-depends
     make package-depends
     make config-recursive
     unsetenv NOCLEANDEPENDS
     make clean
     make rmconfig-recursive
     make config-recursive
     make

In theory it shouldn't be necessary in a static well built ports/
but in a current moving target, while it appears all dependencies
are made & installed, it will have bits that have changed but are
not detected.

Cheers,
Julian
--
Julian Stacey, BSD Linux Unix C Sys Eng Consultant Munich http://berklix.com
 Reply after previous text, like a play - Not before, which looses context.