change ports default work directory prefix

Kimmo Paasiala kpaasial at gmail.com
Fri Oct 2 19:42:25 UTC 2015

On Fri, Oct 2, 2015 at 10:21 PM, Dirk Engling <erdgeist at erdgeist.org> wrote:
> Today in EuroBSDCon's jail working group we discussed changing the
> default for WRKDIRPREFIX to /usr/obj/ports. This has the advantage of
> being able to share the ports tree between host system and jails.
> Another plus is that cleaning all work directories is much faster than a
> recursive make clean.
>
> With the current default, exposing the ports tree to jails potentially
> leaks information about installed programs, configured options or host
> specific generated secrets (thinking of LocalSettings.php).
>
> On the down side, developers can't by default just copy the port, hack
> away and be sure to only modify files in their respective home directories.
>
> bapt@ asked me to discuss this here, also looking for potential other
> pitfalls I have not thought about.
>
> Regards,
>
>   erdgeist

What about DISTDIR (/usr/ports/distfiles) and PACKAGES
(/usr/ports/packages)? Those are now kinda stuck under /usr/ports as
well forcing the ports tree to be read-write unless overridden to some
other directories. For the distfiles I've used /var/cache/distfiles
and I think that would follow hier(7) nicely if it was changed that
way.

-Kimmo