www/firefox really depends on security/openssl?

Carmel NY carmel_ny at outlook.com
Wed May 13 12:45:03 UTC 2015

On Wed, 13 May 2015 07:41:55 -0400, Ernie Luzar stated:

>I am having the same problem. Many things missing from the base openssl
>that are in the port openssl.
>Installing the port version only complicates things by not knowing which
>directory structure is really in play.
>My suggestion is just have the base OS source contain everything the
>openssl port installs.

Basically, that is what I stated. Simply have the "base" version mirror the
"port's" version. Another, perhaps even simpler method would be to have the
"port's" version [overwrite|replace] the base system if a user decides to
install the port's version. A new user could be given the option of
installing the older "base" system or the newer "port's" version when first
installing FreeBSD.

This problem is NOT unsolvable; however, for whatever reason, it doesn't seem
to be getting any traction either. It sort of reminds me of a problem with the
"slapd" rc file that has never been ratified.

--
Carmel