www/firefox really depends on security/openssl?

Ernie Luzar luzar722 at gmail.com
Wed May 13 11:41:53 UTC 2015

Carmel NY wrote:
> On Wed, 13 May 2015 01:24:35 +0200, Dr. Peter Voigt stated:
>
> [Truncated]
>
> The most reliable method to eliminate this, for lack of a better word
> "bullshit",  would be for FreeBSD to keep the "base" system "openssl"
> version" up-to-date. It is apparent to even the most casual observer that
> the present method of allowing to different versions of such an important
> application on the same system without a fail proof method of choosing which
> version to use as you have demonstrated is truly counter productive to a
> "stable" environment.
>
> Assuming that the FreeBSD developers won't do it, perhaps you might
> investigate on how to replace the "base openssl" with the "port's openssl"
> version and eliminate the problem completely.
>
> By the way, I have run into this same nonsense myself.

I am having the same problem. Many things missing from the base openssl
that are in the port openssl.
Installing the port version only complicates things by not knowing which
directory structure is really in play.
My suggestion is just have the base OS source contain everything the
openssl port installs.