net/samba4* build dependencies

Dimitry Andric dim at FreeBSD.org
Fri Jun 12 20:59:12 UTC 2015

On 10 Jun 2015, at 22:19, Horatiu MOLDOVAN <dreamx at gmx.de> wrote:
> Trying to replace samba 3.6 i've observed some disturbing things on samba 4.x build:
> - security/cyrus-sasl2, security/libgcrypt and security/gnutls are mandatory lib dependencies - is there a reason to add garbage to the system?

Apparently it is still a TODO, the Makefile has this comment, just
before pulling in those dependencies:

# XXX: Unconditional dependencies which can't be switched off (if present
# in the system)

As far as dependencies on gnutls (and its dependencies like libgcrypt)
go, it looks like samba implements its TLS support using these.  As a
GPL project, I don't think they support using e.g. OpenSSL instead.  And
you could say that OpenSSL is in its own class of "garbage". :-)

That said, the TLS support seems to be required only for ADS support, so
turning ADS off should ideally also turn off the gnutls dependencies.

Similarly, SASL seems to be required for ADS too, but it isn't disabled
if you disable ADS, so that is another feature that could be improved in
the Makefile.

> - OpenLDAP is built unconditionally regardless of the LDAP option setting - again, is there a reason to add more garbage to the system?

This is because the Makefile unconditionally requires databases/ldb, and
that port in turn unconditionally requires openldap... :-(

So probably the best option would be to automatically disable ldb
support, if ldap support is turned off.

> not sure why dns/py-dnspython is a build dependency...

It looks like samba's build system (based on waf) uses this during the
build.  See the lib/wscript_build file in the work directory.  I have
no idea why samba wants to do DNS lookups during its build, which is
rather strange.

-Dimitry