mail/postfix default build options request: SASL

Kubilay Kocak koobs at FreeBSD.org
Tue Jul 7 17:26:02 UTC 2015

On 8/07/2015 3:06 AM, Brooks Davis wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 07, 2015 at 03:45:53PM +1000, Kubilay Kocak wrote:
>> On 7/07/2015 3:31 PM, Gregory Orange wrote:
>>> Hi Olli and ports@,
>>>
>>> I don't know if this is a helpful forum to raise it, but I would like to
>>> request that SASL be enabled in the default build options for
>>> mail/postfix. I am attempting to use binary-only packages wherever
>>> possible, and so far this is the first where I currently have to build
>>> it myself.
>>>
>>> I would have thought SASL is in use across many Postfix installations,
>>> but of course I could be wrong. I was tempted to try out
>>> SMTP-after-IMAP, but since Postfix has the support, I think SASL is far
>>> cleaner.
>>>
>>> Would any responders please include me in the CC? I am not subscribed to
>>> the list.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Greg.
>>>

>> If consensus can't be achieved or there is a good reason not to enable
>> this by default, then postfix-sasl as a slave port may be a desirable
>> alternative, which I believe has existed in the past.
>>
>> I'm generally:
>>
>>  +1 on security related options enabled by default
>>  +1 on OPTIONS_DEFAULT matching upstream defaults
>>  -1 on OPTIONS_DEFAULT introducing large dependency sets
>
> We need a port that allows dovecot2 SASL by default.  There are a bunch of
> turorials on setting up such systems and all of the have to start with "build
> everything by hand" which makes us look bad.  I've been somewhat tempted to
> adding a slave port mail/postfix-useful with SASL, TLS, and DANE turned on.
> A less trollish name might be better though. :)
>
> -- Brooks

svn mv postfix postfix-lite ?
svn cp postfix postfix-full ?

:)

Seriously though, it *is* tough to find the a 'desirable' intersection
of default features that suits most/all people. Insufficient reason not
to try though.