mail/postfix default build options request: SASL

Brooks Davis brooks at freebsd.org
Tue Jul 7 17:12:34 UTC 2015

On Tue, Jul 07, 2015 at 03:45:53PM +1000, Kubilay Kocak wrote:
> On 7/07/2015 3:31 PM, Gregory Orange wrote:
> > Hi Olli and ports@,
> >
> > I don't know if this is a helpful forum to raise it, but I would like to
> > request that SASL be enabled in the default build options for
> > mail/postfix. I am attempting to use binary-only packages wherever
> > possible, and so far this is the first where I currently have to build
> > it myself.
> >
> > I would have thought SASL is in use across many Postfix installations,
> > but of course I could be wrong. I was tempted to try out
> > SMTP-after-IMAP, but since Postfix has the support, I think SASL is far
> > cleaner.
> >
> > Would any responders please include me in the CC? I am not subscribed to
> > the list.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Greg.
> >

> If consensus can't be achieved or there is a good reason not to enable
> this by default, then postfix-sasl as a slave port may be a desirable
> alternative, which I believe has existed in the past.
>
> I'm generally:
>
>  +1 on security related options enabled by default
>  +1 on OPTIONS_DEFAULT matching upstream defaults
>  -1 on OPTIONS_DEFAULT introducing large dependency sets

We need a port that allows dovecot2 SASL by default.  There are a bunch of
turorials on setting up such systems and all of the have to start with "build
everything by hand" which makes us look bad.  I've been somewhat tempted to
adding a slave port mail/postfix-useful with SASL, TLS, and DANE turned on.
A less trollish name might be better though. :)

-- Brooks