BIND REPLACE_BASE option

Chris H bsd-lists at bsdforge.com
Wed Jan 14 17:31:49 UTC 2015

On Wed, 14 Jan 2015 04:27:42 -0800 Jeffrey Bouquet via freebsd-ports
<freebsd-ports at freebsd.org> wrote

> On 01/13/15 07:55, Kurt Jaeger wrote:
> > Hi!
> >
> >> customizations you need available.  If the default options don't cut it
> >> for you, in order to use only binary packages that means you need to run
> >> your own poudriere setup -- which is well worth it if you're managing
> >> several machines / jails etc.
> > poudriere allows you to manage several seperate pkg trees with different
> > options, so you can:
> >
> > - build a default tree (and pkg repo), provide it to all generic hosts
> > - build a seperate tree (and pkg repo) with modified options, and
> >   provide it to the special hosts
> >
> > It helps to keep the poudriere build tree on fast flash/SSD drives 8-}
> >
> > This all works and is very, very good! Thanks for the work!
> >
> As I probably won't ever know enough from experience, if one wants a
> local lan
> build tool is there any flowchart with use cases
>
> 1... foo foo bar use case >> tinderbox
> 2... foo foo bar use case >> build jail
> 3... foo foo bar use case >> bhyve
> 4... foo foo bar use case >> poudriere
> 5... foo foo bar use case >> csbd OR qjail OR ezjail OR man jail OR
> bastille script
> 6... foo foo bar use case >> server on lan serving packages
>
> And where they may overlap, which takes the least setup time, which
> takes the
> least maintenance time, which can be most easily migrated version >
> version ...
Excellent observation. These look like prime "install candidates".
A sort of meta-install, much like a Server, or Desktop install is
already. Maybe someone with good install-foo could easily cobble up
appropriate scripts to accommodate such a thing.

Thanks for bringing it up, Jeffrey!

--Chris