poudriere: reduce the number of rebuilt packages?

Stefan Ehmann shoesoft at gmx.net
Mon Jan 12 17:45:12 UTC 2015

On 12.01.2015 18:08, Mathieu Arnold wrote:

> +--On 12 janvier 2015 17:59:36 +0100 Stefan Ehmann <shoesoft at gmx.net> wrote:
> |
> | But it would be nice to have a poudriere option to avoid rebuilds of
> | ports without version bumps. If something should go horribly wrong every
> | now and then, you can still fall back to the default rebuild behavior.
> |
> | I think it should be possibly provided that port versions are bumped
> | correctly. But maybe I'm wrong.
>
> Like someone else said, you can use bulk -S, but don't complain if you end
> up with something that's horribly broken :-)

bulk -S didn't really work well for me (see original post).

But I think I my original question is answered by now:
There's no supported way of avoiding excessive rebuilds with poudriere.

What I'm now doing is:
* Dry run of poudriere  bulk with normal list of ports
* make a list of ports that will be rebuilt because of new version
* Run poudriere bulk with new list

There are still some ports without version bump rebuilt, but it's a much
smaller number. Especially libreoffice/KDE, etc. rebuilds are avoided.

This procedure probably has some issues. But in case of problems I'll
just do a normal incremental build.