BIND REPLACE_BASE option

Chris H bsd-lists at bsdforge.com
Mon Jan 12 16:39:27 UTC 2015

On Mon, 12 Jan 2015 07:10:46 -0900 Royce Williams <royce at tycho.org> wrote

> [...]
> - New Automounter
> - QEMU bsd-user-Enabled Ports Building
> - VMWare VAAI and Microsoft ODX Acceleration in CTL
> - ZFSguru
> - Intel GPU Driver Update
> - SDIO Driver
> - UEFI Boot
> - Updated vt(4) System Console
> - Updating OpenCrypto
> - FreeBSD on Newer ARM Boards
> - FreeBSD/arm64
> - LLDB Debugger Port
> - LLVM Address Sanitizer (Asan)
> - SSE Variants of libc Routines for amd64
> - FreeBSD Python Ports
> - GNOME/FreeBSD
> - KDE on FreeBSD
> - The Graphics Stack on FreeBSD
> - Xfce
>
> The Foundation section also lists these items not overlapping with the above:
>
> - FreeBSD Journal
> - PostgreSQL performance improvements
> - Ongoing release process
> - Development snapshots
> - VM images for releases
> - Secure Boot planning
> - Infrastructure hardware
> - Java licensing
> - Summits and summit sponsorship
> - Travel grants, tutorials, and talks
> - New Design and Implementation book
> - Recruitment flyers
>
> Are there long-term improvement projects that aren't being listed?  If
> so, they should be.
>
> At face value, the main project list is heavily weighted towards
> relatively esoteric OS features. The Foundation list is heavily
> weighted towards advocacy and communication (as it should be).
>
> What is missing are high-level projects to help sysadmins maintain and
> use FreeBSD on an ongoing basis.
>
> Here are some projects that would help to close the sysadmin gap:
>
> - Automatic error reporting and analysis
> - OS and port debugging tools for sysadmins
> - Independent project-wide usability analysis
> - Ports dependency isolation and reduction framework
> - Ports system reliability parity with Linuxes
> - Searchable, taggable project FAQ
> - Searchable hardware support matrix integrated with bug tracker
> - Wiki curation and platform improvements
>
> These projects decentralize and improve support for sysadmins and new
> adopters.  As a business case for the Foundation, these projects
> should also deeply free up developer resources to focus on other major
> projects.
>
> In the past, when I have pointed out this "sysadmin gap", I receive
> one of two answers:
>
> 1. Sounds great. Let us know when you have it finished.
>
> 2. We're too busy to do any of those things.
>
> ... to which I answer:
>
> 1. These projects require technical skill and political capital within
> the project.  They are ideally suited for well-established independent
> FreeBSD consultants with large blocks of time sponsored by the FreeBSD
> Foundation.  I can help (especially with the wiki work), but cannot
> tackle these deeper problems in the way that others can.
FWIW I'm already in the process of creating a wiki that will serve
as a FreeBSD Documentation Factory. I've created the wiki, and am
currently plugging in all the necessary "bits". This will permit
"live" documentation creation, and editing -- including man(1)
pages. It's currently backed by git(1), but conversions to other
RCS, SCM, VCS, {...} are all possible. In fact, I already have the
conversion methods available. This all makes it possible to import
any revision of any doc/man page as an "official" doc set.

Point being; as FreeBSD is Open Source, it heavily depends on
user-contribution. I'm not attempting to discount your previous
points, however. Just saying. As to the "sysadmin gap" a look to
the ports tree seems to indicate quite a volume of "sysadmin"
related ports. Are some missing?

All the best.

--Chris