[New Port] Working on Gitlab - Calling for Help and Ideas

Chris H bsd-lists at bsdforge.com
Thu Apr 23 15:10:20 UTC 2015

On Thu, 23 Apr 2015 09:30:01 +0200 Torsten Zuehlsdorff
<mailinglists at toco-domains.de> wrote

> Hello Chris,
>
> > I'm pretty busy ATM. But if you haven't already, *do* read:
> > https://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/porters-handbook/
> > it addresses the questions you've asked fairly well.
> > As to rc(5), and config related files in ${PREFIX}/etc
> > there are a good number of working examples in net-mgmt, dns,
> > sysutils, and perhaps www, to draw from.
> >
> > Hope this helps!
>
> I already know the porters handbook, but i appreciate the pointer. Every
> time i read it, i become more familiar with it :)
Sure. Just checking. :)

> I believe my general purpose question, was not such a good idea. More
> specific i have a bunch of questions. The installations guide
> (https://github.com/gitlabhq/gitlab-recipes/blob/master/install/freebsd/freeb
> sd-10.md)
Hmm... this is *quite* a large package. With a lot of moving parts.
I think it even trumps Xorg. While it can be done. I'm not sure this
is an ideal candidate for a port...
> defines a number of packages to install. But i don't believe this
> should  be dependencies.
Well. After the (your) port has completed install, it should be
nearly ready to "just work". Reading the article, it indicates all
of those as dependencies. Are you looking to create a port that is
a deviation, with a different list of dependencies?

> With the following packages i have problems to figure out if they are
> really needed:
> - sudo
sudo, su, gksu, ... -- *something* will be needed. What you choose
is up to you.
> - bash
Are the scripts that come with your port written for bash(1)? If
so, it (bash) will need to be installed.
> - icu
> - cmake
This will likely get installed somewhere down the line, anyway
> - pkgconf
Same here
> - logrotate
> - postgresql94-server
You'll need to determine the minimum version required (>=???)
> - postfix
> - nginx
All in all, the article seems to provide fairly specific instructions
for installing, and after fulfilling all the dependencies, the user
is still left with a substantial amount of configuration to do.
Are you looking to create those configurations, as well? Even
if so, much of it must still be performed specifically by, and
for the end users circumstances.
I'm still not convinced this is a good (port) candidate. But
there's no reason you can't prove me wrong. ;)

> I don't think that postgresql and nginx should be either a run or a
> build-dependency. The admin of the server should decide, which webserver
> he wants to run.
> While postgresql seems mandatory, it's not clear which version is
> needed. At the moment i used USES= pgsql.
>
> Here a response by a user would save much time. Otherwise i just have to
> try every combination. I've already set up a jail for this - but maybe
> somebody has an idea.
>
> Next question: should "gem install bundler --no-ri --no-rdoc" be done by
> port-installation? Or not? Or with an rc-script for initialization?
>
> The port requires an git-user and some directory under /home/git. Should
> the port add this?
>
> How to handle database initialization? rc-script or manual?
>
> So - any advice or experience is helpful.
>
> Greetings,
> Torsten

--Chris