Share your pkg aliases

Craig Rodrigues rodrigc at FreeBSD.org
Sat Apr 4 19:00:58 UTC 2015

On Sat, Apr 4, 2015 at 11:18 AM, Baptiste Daroussin <bapt at freebsd.org>
wrote:

> On Sat, Apr 04, 2015 at 11:05:10AM -0700, Craig Rodrigues wrote:
> > On Sat, Apr 4, 2015 at 1:50 AM, Mathieu Arnold <mat at freebsd.org> wrote:
> >
> > > +--On 3 avril 2015 12:47:31 -0700 Craig Rodrigues|
> usability.
> > >
> > > It's picked up automatically when you install shells/bash-completion.
> > >

> > Cool. shells/bash-completion *does* work with pkg.
> > It would be cool if shells/bash-completion was automatically installed
> > when the bash port is installed, so that the average user does not have
> > to do any other setup, and things *just work* out of the box.
> >
> > It would also give the pkg developers incentive to keep the bash
> completion
> > updated and in sync as new pkg sub commands and command flags are
> > added.
>
> None of the pkg developpers are using bash or bash completion so ... we are

That may be true, but I see that a few pkg committers use zsh.

One thing that I can see that the pkg project could do is
instead of having separate completion files for bash and zsh,
only have one for bash.  zsh can grok bash completions.
That way you will only have one file to maintain, and zsh and bash users
can test it and benefit from it.

For example, right now, if I "pkg install tmux", if I use zsh as my shell,
it groks the bash completions that come with the tmux port.

I agree with you that it is unfortunate that bash completions is not
part of bash itself.  Maybe we can add a dependency to
shells/bash if bash is installed, it installs the bash-completion port as
well.

It's a minor thing, but improves the out of the box user experience of the
command-line.
--
Craig