Share your pkg aliases

Baptiste Daroussin bapt at freebsd.org
Sat Apr 4 18:18:48 UTC 2015

On Sat, Apr 04, 2015 at 11:05:10AM -0700, Craig Rodrigues wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 4, 2015 at 1:50 AM, Mathieu Arnold <mat at freebsd.org> wrote:
>
> > +--On 3 avril 2015 12:47:31 -0700 Craig Rodrigues|
> > | It's a minor thing, but tab completions are really nice for usability.
> > | bash shell users can use this, but zsh also has a way to read bash
> > | completion scripts.
> >
> > It's picked up automatically when you install shells/bash-completion.
> >

> Cool. shells/bash-completion *does* work with pkg.
> It would be cool if shells/bash-completion was automatically installed
> when the bash port is installed, so that the average user does not have
> to do any other setup, and things *just work* out of the box.
>
> It would also give the pkg developers incentive to keep the bash completion
> updated and in sync as new pkg sub commands and command flags are
> added.

None of the pkg developpers are using bash or bash completion so ... we are
accepting patches... you might understand that the number of people involved in
pkg(8) is pretty low, and lot of work is still needed on the pkg front.

I won't personnally spend my time on bash completion because I have imho way too
many things to do.

> I just tried zsh, and it looks like the pkg completions work by default
> with zsh.  Very nice!

That is a problem with bash, completion is not officially part of the project

Best regards,
Bapt