Request for (i386) testing: american fuzzy lop

Vitaly Magerya vmagerya at gmail.com
Thu Nov 20 14:20:33 UTC 2014

On 2014-11-20 14:43, Fabian Keil wrote:> Quoting the pkg-descr:
> | American fuzzy lop is a fuzzer that employs a novel type of compile-time
> | instrumentation and genetic algorithms to automatically discover clean,
> | interesting test cases that trigger new internal states in the targeted
> | binary. This substantially improves the functional coverage for the
> | fuzzed code.
> |
> | WWW: http://lcamtuf.coredump.cx/afl/

I very much welcome this effort; I myself have tried to create a port
for it, but it required a whole lot of hacks (AFL is intertwined with
internals of GCC, which I failed to make work); I ended up needing
to rewrite it's assembly filters in a fairly hackish way... Can't
remember precisely what the problem was though.

> The shar file is available at:
> http://www.fabiankeil.de/sourcecode/freebsd/afl-60b.shar
>
> The port is supposed to work on amd64 and i386 but so far
> it has only been tested on amd64 (with 64bit binaries).

I don't know what this part is supposed to do:

    # Workaround to make sure clang isn't confused for gcc
    CC=${COMPILER_TYPE}

... but it seems to set CC to empty string on my machine; and I
get a whole bunch of this as the result:

    --version: not found
    make: "/usr/ports/Mk/Uses/compiler.mk" line 66: warning:
    " --version" returned non-zero status

I also get this:

> ===>  Building for afl-0.60b
> gmake[2]: Entering directory '/tmp/ports/security/afl/work/afl-0.60b'
> [*] Checking for the ability to compile x86 code...
> gcc: not found
>
> Oops, looks like your compiler can't generate x86 code.
>
> (If you are looking for ARM, see experimental/arm_support/README.)
>
> Makefile:46: recipe for target 'test_x86' failed
> gmake[2]: *** [test_x86] Error 1
> gmake[2]: Leaving directory '/tmp/ports/security/afl/work/afl-0.60b'
> ===> Compilation failed unexpectedly.

Missing GCC dependency?

(This is all on 10.0-RELEASE amd64).