new dependency for emacs-nox11

Vick Khera vivek at khera.org
Fri Nov 7 14:25:47 UTC 2014

Emacs 24.4 update in ports pulls in a new dependency: desktop-file-utils.
This in turn pulls in a big swath of additional packages including python,
perl, pcre, glib. I cannot figure out what this utility is supposed to do,
as all it refers to is "make a desktop". I don't have a desktop on freebsd
nor do I run gnome.

I do not understand the need for emacs to have a run-dependeny on this,
especially the non-x11 version. I have zero desktop systems here (they're
all servers) and nothing has X11 on it, and have no need for python and
most cases perl.

Is there a way that the port could be tweaked so that the desktop utilities
are not installed when there is no desktop (ie, the nox11 variant)? My goal
is to have a minimal footprint of software on my servers so I do not have
to security audit all this extra software.

Thanks for any info on why this is now included by default.