Unable to use ports on 8.3 or earlier since r352986

Steven Hartland killing at multiplay.co.uk
Fri May 9 16:33:56 UTC 2014

----- Original Message -----
From: "Big Lebowski" <spankthespam at gmail.com>

> Well, the EoL was announced in January, and it is what its name is: end of
> life. There have been changes waiting to happen just for the 8.3 to go
> away, so when the day was reached, they've been applied. This doesnt seem
> very bad, but instead, just about time, since there was no reason to hold
> them off any longer.

In an ideal world everyone would have migrated off, but its not an ideal
world so being friendly to our users and not breaking everything in ports
at the first available opportunity would be nice.

Users may well be quite happy to port the small number of OS security fixes
until they have completed their upgrades, I know thats something we plan to
do here. Ports on the other hand is a different matter, as the number of
fixes / changes is much higher so makes it impractical.

>From what I've read there doesn't seem to be a must have reason for this
change, if this is indeed the case is there any reason not to consider
users?

One example that springs to mind is the release version of pfsense is still
8.3 so being to still compile updated ports with fixes for that is very
useful.

    Regards
    Steve