LPPL10 license consequences intended? (arabic/arabtex)

Thomas Abthorpe tabthorpe at freebsd.org
Sat Mar 29 03:14:31 UTC 2014

On Fri, Mar 28, 2014 at 10:33:25AM +0100, John Marino wrote:
> It's been a few days and there's been no response to this.
> Should I assume that tabthorpe@ read this but is not prepared to review
> his work?

There is an old adage about assumptions, I am sure you know what it is.

Maybe I am just ignoring you.

Maybe, just maybe, my mail system has been sideways for a week, and this
is the first time I have been able to sit down and properly catch up on
emails.

You decide what answer suits you best.

> if that is the case, what is the step forward here?  All this license
> stuff is a black box to me and I'd really like to see someone designated
> as the license "guru" (and similarly a legal guru) to give definite
> answers to questions like these.  I think that nobody is fully
> comfortable with this and everyone expects somebody else to take action.
>
> I would like a ruling on LPPL10 very soon as it potentially affects many
> important tex ports.  Who is in a position to make the call?  I hesitate
> to mail to portmgr@ because my last 3-4 topics have never been resolved
> and mostly ignored by them as a group, so saying "send a message to
> portmgr@" is equivalent to telling me to send it to a black hole.
> (Hopefully with the turnover it's less like this in the future but so
> far it seems the same as always)
>
> I'm not really trying to be provocative but there are a number of
> "somebody really should fix that" issues going around but the fixes
> aren't getting organized so in the end nothing happens (again, I think
> this is do to everyone expecting somebody to organize/lead the effort
> before they jump in)
>
> Regards,
> John

Long story short, I have been extremely distracted by life outside of
FreeBSD, as a result I will be stepping down from my responsibilities
later this spring, as I have not been able to deal with everything on my
plate.

If you would like to take over the licensing stuff, I will be happy to
assign your name to it.

Thomas

--
Thomas Abthorpe		| FreeBSD Committer