LPPL10 license consequences intended? (arabic/arabtex)

John Marino freebsd.contact at marino.st
Sat Mar 29 09:57:41 UTC 2014

On 3/29/2014 04:14, Thomas Abthorpe wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 28, 2014 at 10:33:25AM +0100, John Marino wrote:
>> It's been a few days and there's been no response to this.
>> Should I assume that tabthorpe@ read this but is not prepared to review
>> his work?
>
> There is an old adage about assumptions, I am sure you know what it is.
> Maybe I am just ignoring you.
> Maybe, just maybe, my mail system has been sideways for a week, and this
> is the first time I have been able to sit down and properly catch up on
> emails.
> You decide what answer suits you best.

Look, you had several days to chime in on this topic.  I am not going to
put at the top of my list of possibilities that your email system is
broken.  Yes, it's possible.  Many other options are far more likely.

I'll go with door#2

> Long story short, I have been extremely distracted by life outside of
> FreeBSD, as a result I will be stepping down from my responsibilities
> later this spring, as I have not been able to deal with everything on my
> plate.

If that is the case, you should do exactly this.

> If you would like to take over the licensing stuff, I will be happy to
> assign your name to it.

*this* is a crappy attitude though.  This is "I did something, but you
clean it up."  You can drop out, that's fine, but I'd expect somebody
would at least be interested in their old work.  How much time are are
talking here?   10-20 minutes?  You're going to write this sob story and
try to shift this to others for a 20 minute job?

All you had to say was, "That was 3 years ago, I'm sorry if I didn't get
it exactly right, but I'm not going to review again" without all this
backstory.  I would work-ethically disagree with it, but I would respect
you for saving us all 5 days of limbo.

Obviously I'm not going to take over licensing.  But this probably falls
back to portmgr responsibility.  I don't get your attitude given that
you are not only portmanager (still) but actually was involved with this.

If the portmgr group leaves this up to me, I'm going to disable this
LPPL licenses and remove it from arabtex.  How is that for dealing with it?

John