reason 23 why we've moved to linux

Erich Dollansky erichsfreebsdlist at alogt.com
Sun Mar 23 01:34:10 UTC 2014

Hi,

On Sun, 23 Mar 2014 09:40:36 +0900
Randy Bush <randy at psg.com> wrote:

> > strange. Whenever I come in touch with Linux, I have the feeling
> > that the people better would have kept Windows on their machine.
>
> the first time i logged on to a linux system, i said `ls`, it came out
> in color, and i walked away.

it was not that easy for me. It simply did not want to get installed.

> i have been a freebsd lover for a couple of decades, and 4.3 before

I know BSD since 79 when 'my' professor brought a tape from Berkeley
along and installed the system on a PDP-11.

> that.  but in the last couple of years it has become really painful.
> and .bashrc has helped me not have broken fingers on linux, and the
> bottom line is a *lot* less pain.

Bash? Just install it. I know some users of bash on FreeBSD. They do
not have complains.

> at least once a month, i have to do port security updates on over a
> dozen freebsd systems.  it takes most of a day if i am lucky.

I have written me a set of scripts which do this by using portupgrade.
All I have to do is to start the script of choice. Of course, if your
memory is good, you can enter the full portupgrade command line
directly.

You can run this also automatically wasting not a single second of your
time.

> the linux systems update automagically and send me email telling me
> what they did.
>
> i value my time.

Why are you then on Linux and why do you try to use FreeBSD in a
troublesome fashion?

> if i did not value freebsd, i would just walk away saying nothing.
> but the community seems to be in some sort of fantasy that things are
> OK and nirvana is just around the corner.  linux has matured, believe
> it or not.  freebsd, ports in particular, has rotted.  and folk are
> voting with their feet.

Yeah, you must have real good feet if you want to stay with Linux. It
is sad to see how much effort they have to put into their systems just
to follow the latest trends. They do not even check if a trend will
make a change for them. FreeBSD is just FreeBSD, year for year.

Erich