reason 23 why we've moved to linux

Alfred Perlstein alfred at freebsd.org
Sat Mar 22 18:54:12 UTC 2014

On 3/22/14 11:49 AM, Randy Bush wrote:
>> Honest question, have you been building things from source under
>> debian's ports or are you using their version of "pkg"?
> the latter

Ok then, well then you should be using pkg if you want to do a fair
apples to apples comparison.

Otherwise you're comparing two different games #1 at "easy mode" vs #2
at "expert" and complaining that game #2 is too hard.

> and i have two 9 systems where i try to use freebsd-update.  also a
> time-consuming rabbit hole leading nowhere pleasant.  e.g.
>
> # freebsd-update upgrade -r 9.2-RELEASE-p3
> Looking up update.FreeBSD.org mirrors... 5 mirrors found.
> Fetching metadata signature for 9.2-RELEASE from update5.freebsd.org... done.
> Fetching metadata index... done.
> Inspecting system... done.
>
> The following components of FreeBSD seem to be installed:
> kernel/generic world/base world/doc world/games world/lib32
>
> The following components of FreeBSD do not seem to be installed:
>
> Does this look reasonable (y/n)? y
>
> Fetching metadata signature for 9.2-RELEASE-p3 from update5.freebsd.org... failed.
> Fetching metadata signature for 9.2-RELEASE-p3 from update2.freebsd.org... failed.
> Fetching metadata signature for 9.2-RELEASE-p3 from update3.freebsd.org... failed.
> Fetching metadata signature for 9.2-RELEASE-p3 from update4.freebsd.org... failed.
> Fetching metadata signature for 9.2-RELEASE-p3 from update6.freebsd.org... failed.
> No mirrors remaining, giving up.
That is quite annoying!  I don't happen to use FreeBSD update, but
honestly posting a log of this as a fresh message to the lists (without
the vitriol) might get you some attention.

I happened to have a huge problem with the installer, posted about it
and no one did anything until I posted a pretty hilarious screencast of
me trying to use it while it did everything in its power to do anything
BUT partition disks.

-Alfred