Libiconv confusion on 10.0-RELEASE

Dr. Peter Voigt pvoigt at uos.de
Thu Mar 20 18:57:08 UTC 2014

Am Thu, 20 Mar 2014 12:20:43 -0400
schrieb Robert Huff <roberthuff at rcn.com>:

> Johan Hendriks <joh.hendriks at gmail.com> writes:
>
> >  As far as I know, there is some libiconv functionality missing in
> > the base libiconv implementation. That is the reason some ports
> > installed converters/libiconv from ports.
>
> 	From reading the mailing lists and skimming the PRs, it
> appears subversion may be such a port.  Is there a current list of
> ports know to need the ports version of iconv?
>
> 	Respectfully,
>

> 					Robert Huff

Thanks on feedback to all.

Meanwhile I've read a lot about iconv and to be honest, things are
becoming even less clear. I am having not enough experience with FreeBSD
to completely judge the situation. But obviously replacement of the
ports version of iconv is still an ongoing process somehow related to
10.0-RELEASE.

Besides the full list of affected ports I would like to know, if the
11 ports on my 10.0-RELEASE system currently depending on
converters/libiconv all really have to. Or could they be built against
the base iconv? My attempts so far to rebuild them with
the /usr/ports/UPDATING advice was not successful. My feeling says
that information about iconv in /usr/ports/UPDATING is not complete.

Regards,
Peter