reason 23 why we've moved to linux

Randy Bush randy at psg.com
Tue Mar 18 16:56:20 UTC 2014

> Ugh, that's a mess, I haven't seen that personally, but I just tend to
> pull from git, although that takes a long time.
>
> Using git lets me keep local changes easily.
>
> The other option that works is just using portsnap.  I think "portsnap
> auto" or "portsnap alfred" should work for getting your the sources.
>
> The other option would be just try a fresh checkout against
> https://svn.freebsd.org/ instead of https://svn0.us-east.freebsd.org/.
>
> bummer!
>
> lastly, just using "pkg(1)" works really nicely, if you're tired of
> dealing with port updates via source, then just try using pkg(1), it's
> basically just as nice as using "apt-get" these days, pretty nice stuff.

alfred,

i know you mean well, but svn is legit and we have been using it until
the kiddies came over to freebsd from linux.  now that they left linux,
debian and ubuntu are quite usable, pretty stable, and the ports/package
system makes freebsd's look horrifying.  i am tired of dependency hell.
i am tired of package management du jour.  i have real work to do and
even an attempt at a real life.

i have been a bsd user since 4.whatever on the vax.  it is no longer
defensible in any situaion other than personal religion.  and it's the
ongoing ports disaster that has killed a really great system.  sad.

randy