How are ports built now

Paul Schmehl pschmehl_lists at tx.rr.com
Sat Jun 7 20:20:02 UTC 2014

--On June 7, 2014 at 10:04:17 PM +0200 Torfinn Ingolfsen <tingox at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Sat, Jun 7, 2014 at 9:03 PM, Paul Schmehl <pschmehl_lists at tx.rr.com>
> wrote:
>> I'm an oldtimer, having used the port building system for years.
>> Recently I upgraded two servers to 8.4 and implemented the pkgng system.
>> Now, when I run portmaster -ad, it seems to keep reinstalling the same
>> ports over and over again.
>>
>> Is portmaster not the appropriate method for updating ports with pkgng?
>> Are we forced to now go to binary packages only?
>
> I think you are a bit confused here. AFAIK, portmaster, portupgrade
> and so on are management tools for installing and upgrading ports.
> However, to update the ports tree on your machine (which is what you
> use when you are building from source) you need another tool.
> Supported versions of FreeBSD have the portsnap(8) command, which is
> used to update the ports tree.

Thanks, but no, you misunderstand.  I just upgraded to servers to 8.4 and
decided to adopt the new pkgng system at the same time.  Any time I upgrade
the OS, I always rebuild all ports.  I've been using portmaster -ad to do
that for a while now.

One one of the servers I seem to be in some sort of loop.  Every time I run
portmaster -ad the same ports come up for install/upgrade.  Yet when
portmaster completes it says the ports were successfully installed.  Run
portmaster -ad again, the same list pops up.

I'm still trying to figure out what's wrong.  I thought it might be some
sort of conflict between the portmaster db and the pkgng db.

Paul Schmehl, Senior Infosec Analyst