[FreeBSD-Announce] FreeBSD bug tracking moves from GNATS to Bugzilla

Eitan Adler lists at eitanadler.com
Thu Jun 5 02:44:23 UTC 2014

bugmeister@ is precedent.

> That will discourage response.  Some don't have or want net 24/7,
> nor want to check a web in case someone might have asked for feedback,

They get an email.

> nor want heavy browsers rather than a lightweight mail tool.

They can use the CLI

>  Some
> will want to edit with font style, size, colour, word wrapping, &
> vi keys, preference set by minimal latency localhost.

They can use the CLI

> Good, I've previously encountered people with patches who couldn't
> be bothered to submit a send-pr. Requiring just web follow up will
> deter more. Perhaps the reported initial rush may settle down, a
> mix of pent up demand post switch over, + the trendy who try new things.

lets see

On 3 June 2014 18:52, Warren Block <wblock at wonkity.com> wrote:
> Still, it acts as a test of the
> submitter's determination and indirectly, the quality of the information
> they give.

This isn't about determination or even initial quality of the PR.  Its
about the ability to know we have a verified mechanism of talking to
the reporter.

As to another point:
> Yes. It is really frustrating to create a bug-report with a complete patch just to wait for some months and seeing that nothing happens. And even after offering help it is closed with "timeout" and the bug still exists.

Before we couldn't track this.  Now we can.  Lets hope we can solve
this problem.  We still need more people to go through the bugs and
fix things.

--
Eitan Adler