[FreeBSD-Announce] FreeBSD bug tracking moves from GNATS to Bugzilla

Julian H. Stacey jhs at berklix.com
Wed Jun 4 00:59:51 UTC 2014

Hi,
Eitan Adler wrote:
> On 3 June 2014 10:11, John Marino <freebsd.contact at marino.st> wrote:
> > ... it's doubtful most folks unwilling to register are
> > about to make a meaningful report...
>
> This is *not* the reason for registation.
>
> The reason for registation is that we know from experience that having
> a way to talk with the reporter drastically increases the chance that
> the bug will get fixed.  Registration offers verification of the
> submitters email.
> We would rather get fewer higher quality and more engaged bugs than
> what we've had in the past where bugs were a one way vent.
>
> To preempt the next question: why don't we allow users to submit via
> email but verify with a token?   That system isn't possible with how
> the gateway is set up now.  Its a long term possability.  If someone
> wants to help set that up please contact me offline (at bugmeister@).

Postmaster@ & webmaster@ are precedents. The orthogonal address
should be bugmaster@, (with an alias from bugmeister for the lost).
A random German Meister appended to Bug invites a French Maitre for next name.

> What about bug followups via email?  That one won't be supported for a
> bit as we get used to bugzilla.

That will discourage response.  Some don't have or want net 24/7,
nor want to check a web in case someone might have asked for feedback,
nor want heavy browsers rather than a lightweight mail tool.  Some
will want to edit with font style, size, colour, word wrapping, &
vi keys, preference set by minimal latency localhost.

> It certainly on the cards to support
> in the future.

Good, I've previously encountered people with patches who couldn't
be bothered to submit a send-pr. Requiring just web follow up will
deter more. Perhaps the reported initial rush may settle down, a
mix of pent up demand post switch over, + the trendy who try new things.

Cheers,
Julian
--
Julian Stacey, BSD Linux Unix C Sys Eng Consultant Munich http://berklix.com
		Interleave replies Below, like a play script.