[FreeBSD-Announce] FreeBSD bug tracking moves from GNATS to Bugzilla

Ulrich Spörlein uqs at FreeBSD.org
Tue Jun 3 16:57:35 UTC 2014

> On 3 Jun 2014, at 13:09, Vitaly Magerya <vmagerya at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > It doesn't seem to be possible to post comments (or bugs) without
> creating an account and logging in.
>
> That is correct.  The current leaning is towards not providing such
> functionality as:
>
> - It makes spamming easy
>
> - If someone can't be bothered to make an account, they are unlikely to
> provide the feedback required to correctly diagnose the bug.
>
> I don't know that this decision is final, but it's certainly unlikely to
> be high up the priority list to implement it.  For FreeBSD 11, we'd like to
> have an HTTP-based send-pr replacement, which will not be able to enforce a
> valid email address, but which will at least request one.  Although, again,
> we'll have to be careful to prevent it from being used as a spam tool (send
> a pr claiming to be from a different email address with a spam message and
> that person gets notified) and so it will likely add the bug to a private
> queue where it can be checked for spam before appearing in the main db.
>  Volunteers to be spam filters welcome...

Please reconsider this. I have come up with bug reports for various
projects only to find out that I'd need YET ANOTHER FRIGGING PASSWORD just
to send them my bug report. In the end, the report was not send, as yes, I
cannot be bothered to create another account that I'll use essentially for
sending an email. I'm surely not the only one avoiding even more accounts
and password.

At the very least think about implementing OAuth/OpenID or whatever it's
called this days.

A mood point for me, as I'll need a full account, but the Project should
not make reporting bugs harder than it is already ... have you considered
using reCATPCHA or something to fend of at least some of the spam?

Cheers and thanks for the migration!!
Uli