Lots of installed ports show "succeeds index"

Matthew D. Fuller fullermd at over-yonder.net
Fri Jul 25 06:38:37 UTC 2014

On Thu, Jul 24, 2014 at 03:58:34PM -0700 I heard the voice of
Kevin Oberman, and lo! it spake thus:

> Which begs the question, why is it out of sync? If you update your ports
> tree, all you need to do is:
> make -C /usr/ports fetchindex (takes a few seconds)

That's only "probably close, if you do it shortly after svn up".

> There are a couple of other "or"s, but I'll just say that you are
> probably working too hard if you don't use an index.

I prefer "or use portsnap, which pulls along INDEX for the tree as
built (except when INDEX build is broken anyway, in which case it gets
a little stale)".  If portsnap had no other redeeming qualities, I'd
probably still use it just for that one...

Matthew Fuller     (MF4839)   |  fullermd at over-yonder.net