Lots of installed ports show "succeeds index"

Kevin Oberman rkoberman at gmail.com
Thu Jul 24 22:58:35 UTC 2014

On Thu, Jul 24, 2014 at 2:34 PM, Christian Weisgerber <naddy at mips.inka.de>
wrote:

> On 2014-07-24, Kevin Oberman <rkoberman at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > If 'pkg version' only took a few seconds for you, I suspect  you had very
> > few ports installed. It has always taken minutes for me.
>
> $ pkg info|wc -l
>      432
>
> > Is there a reason you want to avoid using the index? It's worked just
> fine
> > for me for several months on systems with well over 1000 ports installed.
>
> It isn't in sync with my ports tree

Which begs the question, why is it out of sync? If you update your ports
tree, all you need to do is:
make -C /usr/ports fetchindex (takes a few seconds)

Or, if you tie your ports tree to  the version of FreeBSD and never update,
you just need to build the index once with:
make -C /usr/ports index (takes quite a few minutes)
and leave it there until you update to a new version of FreeBSD.

There are a couple of other "or"s, but I'll just say that you are probably
working too hard if you don't use an index.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer, Retired
E-mail: rkoberman at gmail.com