HOWTO articles for migrating from Linux to FreeBSD, especially for pkg?

Baptiste Daroussin bapt at FreeBSD.org
Thu Jul 17 20:54:52 UTC 2014

On Thu, Jul 17, 2014 at 10:21:17PM +0200, Andreas Nilsson wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 17, 2014 at 10:15 PM, Navdeep Parhar <nparhar at gmail.com> wrote:

> > > Cool, so what's the single line command needed to type in to start a
> > > given package service?
> >
> > Aren't sysrc(8) and service(8) for this kind of stuff?
> >

> They sure are.
>
> Well, pkg install $service ; sysrc ${service}_enable="YES" would do.
> Although some services have different names than the packge, which is sort
> of annoying.

Maybe service needs to be extended (seriously sysrc ${service}_enable="YES" is
not user friendly) we have service -l that list the services, maybe a service
${service} on that create /etc/rc.conf.d/${service} with ${service}_enable="YES"
in it and service ${service} off to remove it

maybe service -l could also be extended to show the current status (maybe with a
-v switch)

but for sure having the service off by default is a good idea :)

regards,
Bapt