HOWTO articles for migrating from Linux to FreeBSD, especially for pkg?

Andreas Nilsson andrnils at gmail.com
Thu Jul 17 20:21:19 UTC 2014

On Thu, Jul 17, 2014 at 10:15 PM, Navdeep Parhar <nparhar at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 07/17/14 13:12, Adrian Chadd wrote:
> > On 17 July 2014 13:03, Alberto Mijares <amijaresp at gmail.com> wrote:

> >> No. Please NEVER do that! The user must be able to edit the files and
> >> start the service by himself.
> >
> > Cool, so what's the single line command needed to type in to start a
> > given package service?
>
> Aren't sysrc(8) and service(8) for this kind of stuff?

They sure are.

Well, pkg install $service ; sysrc ${service}_enable="YES" would do.
Although some services have different names than the packge, which is sort
of annoying.

I wouldn't mind though if pkg via dialog or some such mechanism asked if
wanted it enabled. Or via pkg-message told me howto enable it.

/A