Transition from ${UNIQUENAME}_SET to ${CATEGORY}_${UNIQUENAME}_SET

Dewayne Geraghty dewayne.geraghty at heuristicsystems.com.au
Tue Jul 15 08:59:16 UTC 2014

Seems that options for port customisations has changed.  Previously I used:
${UNIQUENAME}_SET=...
but now told by others on various irc channels that it was now
${CATEGORY}_${UNIQUENAME}_SET=
which proved to be correct (for some ports).

So I added the categories to the customisations and started to rebuild
all ports that I use.  Unfortunately devel/apr1 failed.  It didn't use
LDAP, which I'd told it to use, causing apache to fail etc.

Now I have in make.conf
# These work
apr_SET=THREADS BDB LDAP
www_apache24_SET=...
# These don't
devel_apr_SET=THREADS BDB LDAP

Am I caught in a transition or is this inconsistency expected?  I
suppose I'm not really affected anymore as I detected the anomaly and
wrote a script to duplicate the customisations to my ports.

For those less familiar, I've found these helpful:
make showconfig | grep =on                          # which will display
what is turned on
make  __MAKE_CONF=/dev/null showconfig | grep =on     # displays the
port maintainers defaults.