Some ports not compiling with security/libressl

Johan van Selst johans at stack.nl
Tue Jul 15 05:44:29 UTC 2014

Hi Jens,

Jens K. Loewe wrote:
> I'm currently trying to replace OpenSSL on my server by LibreSSL
> (security/libressl). Anyway, I found some ports struggling to compile
> with it, including (but not limited to) www/w3m,
> security/p5-Net-SSLeay (which seems to query the OpenSSL version
> directly?!) and lang/python27.
>
> Is it planned to take care of this use case?

LibreSSL is explicitly not going to be fully compatible with OpenSSL.
Certain functions from OpenSSL have already been removed from LibreSSL
and as rewrites contine, the difference may grow. There would not be any
point in adding a compatibility layer to the FreeBSD port. Application
authors may chose to update their applications to work with LibreSSL,
but I do not expect this to happen very quickly, especially because
LibreSSL is a fast-moving target at the moment.

That said, I'm not maintaining any of the ports you mentioned, and
I did not look into the current compatibility issues. But in general,
if you want full OpenSSL-compatibility, I suggest sticking with OpenSSL.

Regards,
Johan